Sarah

New Member Introduction--Sarah

5 posts in this topic

I'm looking forward to participating in this community!  I've been struggling with living gluten-free (at least due to wheat allergy) as well as having to deal with other food reactions (guar gum, flaxseed, acesulfame potassium) and with copper toxicity.  These issues have manifested over the last five years or so.  I would solve one issue only to be presented with another.  I'm hoping to connect with others, help, and be helped.  My story and many of my experiences have been chronicled on my blog at http://www.ihatemyglutenfreelife.com.  I figured it would be easier to provide the link to it rather than repeating a lot of information here.

1 person likes this

Welcome Sarah!

Thank you so much for joining and for sharing your connection with our community!  You have a wonderful blog that I really encourage others in our community to check out as it gives great insights into your healing journey.  Allow me to also paste a link to your first post in your blog where you share your story:

http://ihatemyglutenfreelife.com/my-story/

I am sure that many will be able to very much relate to elements of your journey and hope that others in our community can share their experiences and stories – including others with long term antibiotic use life experiences (Bactrim or any other type), strong reactions to gluten without a Celiac Disease diagnosis (non-celiac gluten sensitivity), cross contamination challenges, additional food sensitivities, copper reactions, thyroid issues, vertigo, etc.

We are here to help one another to make healing connections, and so please share your experiences if you are someone in our community that has overcome similar circumstances or if you have helped others to overcome similar circumstances.  Thanks!

P.S. for Sarah - within your profile there is an "About Me" section ... I welcome you to cut and paste your initial post above to that section and/or perhaps also the content from your first blog post if you are open to it!

1 person likes this

I have had the chance to read over more of your blog and wanted to follow up on the copper toxicity aspect of your story.  You had mentioned that your doctor did testing to rule out Wilson's Disease, but did you happen to get baseline data as to what your actual numerical levels are at?  I ask because I was researching more about others who may be going through similar things in the blogosphere and found a very informative and interesting blog of someone that has been very dedicated to trying to figure out what is going on with his personal health which has a tie in with copper toxicity.  As part of his deeper dive, he got a test done from a company called Doctor's Data and it shows high levels of copper as well as baseline data over time with other elements.

Check out the link and let me know what you think:

http://howirecovered.wpengine.com/still-copper-toxic-two-years-later/

Thanks for the info.  Back in March, my doctor drew blood to check for levels of several vitamins and minerals, with copper and zinc being two.  All those tests came back normal, but I've read that blood work may not always be accurate.  I've heard that people have had more accurate results with hair tissue mineral analysis, but I've not had that done.  I'll definitely check out the link!

I'm not quite sure I could follow his protocol.  I've had to give up my multivitamin, and it only had 100% of the RDA of zinc in it.  The Centrum Adults multivitamin that started the process of removing excess copper from my body had 73%, but it only had 25% of copper.  I don't think my body could handle that much zinc in addition to what I get in meals.  He also denies having a plant-based diet, and although I've always been a meat-eater, I did tend to emphasize plant-based foods.  I would eat an entire can of Amy's Kitchen chili for a meal and would also eat a lot of the brand's other foods, all vegetarian, some vegan.  I would also make a meal out of a fourth of a cup or so of cashew butter or sunflower butter with sliced banana, a meal that would be insanely high in copper. Like him, though, I've "stopped consuming outrageous quantities of high copper foods".  Cashews and sunflower seeds are no longer a part of my diet for example.  Other foods with lower levels of copper I consume in balance with zinc-containing foods like beef and chicken.  I do still consume avocados and kale.  I had mashed sweet potatoes with steak for dinner tonight. :-)